Want to be on trend without spending a fortune? I’m a master fashion deal seeker, and I want to share my tips for finding cheap trendy clothes with you.
*This post may contain affiliate links. For more information please visit our Disclosure Page*
So, I’m working on this idea that my value is not determined by my exterior appearance. That includes what brands I wear, my weight, if I wear makeup or don’t, etc.
Over the past couple of months, I’ve come to terms with my body. Even better, I love what I see in the mirror. Where I used to feel like I needed makeup to go anywhere, I now proudly support a bare face 5ish day’s a week. That might be because my skin has improved so much from this one little secret.
But, I still have a very out of hand clothes shopping addiction. I’ve been working to buy less and get rid of more. But, luckily when I do buy clothes, I’m a savvy shopper and know how to find the best deals on trendy clothes.
I have an affinity for quality clothes and nice brands. Lululemon, Hudson Jeans, GRLFRND Denim, Nike, Steven Madden, The North Face. However, maybe because I grew up without any money and not wearing name brand anything, I refuse to pay $130 for a pair of leggings no matter how much money I have. I don’t care how nice they are. That price briefly makes my heart stop.
Which is why I have learned how to thrift for clothes online. And no, you aren’t buying tattered used clothes. You can get brand new or practically new trendy clothes for a fraction of the price.
For years I’ve shopped on Ebay and been quite successful. But recently, I started shopping and selling on Poshmark, and it’s become my new favorite thing to do.
I’m going to share my best tips for finding cheap trendy clothes on Poshmark.
What is Poshmark?
Poshmark is a buying an selling app/website for clothing, shoes, accessories, and even household decor. To me, it’s a mix of Ebay and social media.
Unlike Ebay, you can interact with other users in comments. You can ask for more details, ask to see an image of the item being worn, ask about deals, etc.
You can also like listing to save them for later and to let the seller know you are interested– this is HUGE and I will dive into how to use this tactic shortly.
There are options to follow and be followed by people, partake in parties with specific themes, and find people with the same clothing interests as you.
It’s like a fashion-lovers perfect mix of affordable clothes and a platform to meet others with your same fashion sense.
Plus, when you buy on Poshmark, you are completely covered and secure in your purchase. They offer Posh Protect. It’s a guarantee that you will get a full refund if your order doesn’t ship or it doesn’t match the description.
And if you are into luxury brands, they take it a step further. All items priced above $500 ship free and are sent to Poshmark HQ for authentication. This way, you know you are getting the real deal and not a knock-off.
Best Tips for Getting Cheap Trendy Clothes on Poshmark
Step 1: Create an Account and Get $$ Off Your First Order
You will need to create an account with Poshmark to get started buying or selling. However, the signup process is very easy and straight forward.
I’ve waited to share a link because we can both benefit, here. If you use my invite code when you sign up you will get $10 OFF (limited time then it returns to $5) your first purchase. And I too will get $10. So thank you in advance.
After you download the app, click Sign Up with Email. You will be taken to this screen. Where it says ‘Invite Code’ use ERINNICHOLS91. Again, this gets you money off your first order, and sometimes they will even give shipping discounts for using the code.
I encourage you to fill out your profile as much as you can. Definitely go into your setting and select your sizes. You can add sizes for dresses, jeans, pants, shoes, and sweaters. Don’t worry, no one else sees these.
It’s a nice feature that makes shopping for clothes online so much easier. When you search a product, Poshmark will return items in search results that fit into your sizing profile.
Step 2: Search Brands that You Love
Next, you get to start shopping. In the search bar at the top, you can search for brands or styles that you like.
For instance, you can search Lululemon Wunder Under. If you have filled out your profile with your sizes, it will show you Lululemon Wunder Under leggings in the size you selected.
I encourage you to follow the brands that you like. Then, newly listed items from these brands will show up in your feed. And sometimes, Poshmark will send you a notification with products from your brands that you might like.
Step 3: Best Tips to Get the Best Deals on Poshmark
Poshmark already has great prices, so you are welcome to buy an item you find immediately without following these tips for better deals. But, if you have some patience and time before you need your order, I recommend trying these Poshmark tips.
- Search for an item you are interested in and ‘like’ them. If you can find multiples of the item or similar, that’s even better. For example, I searched Hudson Jeans and it turned up TONS of results in my size. From here, I will find 4-5 pairs I really like and then click the little heart icon, which represents a ‘Like’ on Poshmark. This sends a notice to the seller that you liked the item. The standard procedure for sellers is to offer a private item discount and shipping discount to people who like their listings. In fact, I recently liked a pair of Hudson Jeans that were listed at $80. At first, they offered me $65 with a shipping discount. But, I held out strong. Then, while I am writing this post, the seller sent me another offer of $55 and reduced shipping. Without doing anything but liking the item, I received a $25 discount on the item and a small discount on shipping.
- Bundle items from the same seller. Many sellers offer a preestablished percent off when you buy multiple items from their cart. If you find a specific listing that you like, look below the description. If they have a bundle discount it will specify the number of items and the percentage off. Then go to their closet (profile) and see if you can find other items that fit your style. You can also create a bundle of items from a single seller and wait and see if they will offer a discount. Most will. You can also place just a single item in a bundle. This can sometimes result in a private offer from the seller as well
- Visit the app often and filter for just in items. The default view in Poshmark shows you items that have recently been shared by people you follow or brands you follow. This means these items have already been in the seller’s closet for a while and aren’t freshly listed. Click shop, then select a brand you like or use the search bar. Next, click on the little filter and select ‘Just In’. This will show you newly listed items. Often, you can get a steal here because those really good deals go fast and don’t stay listed long. The more you check-in, the better.
- Send an offer on an item. When you find an item you like you have the option to Buy Now or Offer. If the item is outside your budget, click Offer and then make the seller an offer. They will have 24 hours to accept, decline, or counter your offer. This is the most aggressive way to try and get deals in comparison to the options above, which are more passive. But, this option is good for getting close to the price you are willing to pay and is often quicker. Note: if you make on offer, your offer is binding for 24 hours, meaning if the seller accepts, Poshmark will process the payment. So don’t make offers on things that you aren’t 100% ready to buy.
- Filter search Lowest to Highest Price. The same way you filtered for Just In items is how you will filter for lowest to highest price. This can be a bit frustrating as people create a listing with deal notices and post them for $3. There are a lot of these so you will have to do some scrolling. But, while I was doing this I found a $55 Lululemon tank top for $5 and a pair of Rock Revival Jeans for $12. Both in near perfect condition. So, it’s worth it to have a look and see what kind of steals you can find.
- Share your Poshmark code with others. Earlier I mentioned that you could use my invite code, ERINNICHOLS91, to get $10 off your first purchase. And that I too would receive credit. This credit goes into a Poshmark balance that you can spend on the app. So, once you have your account, snag your code and share it with your friends and family. Post it on Facebook or Twitter. Send it in an email, a text message, or a Facebook message. If people use your code, you will rack up Poshmark credits and pretty much shop for free.
- List your old items. In a future post, I will share my top tips for selling on Poshmark. But, if you want new clothes on a budget, try going through your old clothes first. Go through your shoes, clothes, jewelry, bags, home decor, etc. Then list them on the app. Once they sell and are delivered, you will have that money on your account. You can withdraw it to your bank or use it on Poshmark to buy what you truly want.
Why I Love Shopping on Poshmark
For the past year or so, I have been truly trying to be more green. Part of that includes buying used clothes and selling the stuff I no longer need. You can shop my Poshmark Closet here.
Companies are pumping out new clothes like crazy and there is a lot of backlash. It’s wasteful and most of us don’t need new clothes, we just want them. Reality check for me. With that being said, purchasing lightly used clothes means you aren’t buying from big businesses and you are repurposing an item rather than buying new.
I always tell myself that it’s okay if I’m not perfect at being green. Making a couple of small sustainable changes is better than saying all or none. And, if I can share this information and a bunch of us can do just a few things more environmentally conscious than I will feel accomplished.
I also like that I can refresh my wardrobe seasonally by selling my gently used clothes to make a little cash to buy more gently used clothes. Do you see this brilliant cycle? It’s been a game-changer for me.
So, with that being said, I highly encourage you to get on Poshmark if you are looking to snag some cheap trendy clothes. Again, *insert winky face*, I would so LOVE if you used my invite code ERINNICHOLS91 when you sign up. We both benefit and I am super grateful for everyone who has been kind enough to do this simple thing.
Do you already shop on Poshmark? Do you have any tips for getting the best deals on clothes online? Let us know in the comments below.